Teaching Assistant / Medical Vocational Intern – Kapsowar, Kenya
LENGTH OF SERVICE
The Serge team in Kapsowar is a brand-new addition to a community that dates back nearly a century when the Africa Inland Church established a hospital in the beautiful, rural mountains of Western Kenya. The team demonstrates God’s love for the people of rural Kenya by providing excellent medical care and theological education while training and empowering Kenyan physicians, midwives, and pastors in their Kingdom work.
The team provides full-time support to the hospital, theological school, and mission station. AIC Kapsowar Hospital is the local hospital, which is a district hospital in the northwest region of Kenya, with over 140 beds and performs over 200 surgeries and C-sections per month. This hospital provides the majority of medical care in this remote region of northwestern Kenya. The team provides care to all people (in this somewhat rural/marginalized population), including pediatric and adult wards, and also trains Kenyan staff to increase their capacity to provide excellent care as well.
The Serge team in Kapsowar is composed of two families, with 3 young children (ages preschool to 3rd grade). Coming out of Covid, the number of children in their expatriate community swelled from 1 to 20 (and counting)! They are looking for educational support for the missionary children on their team so that they can focus on the other roles that God has called them to.
This internship would be a great option for those who not only have a heart for education and children but also medical missions and/or theological training.
Internship dates: January, 2024 – August, 2024 (specific dates are flexible)
A Vocational Intern on the Kapsowar team would primarily…
- Work with parents to identify the needs of preschool and school-aged children, and facilitate their learning in one-on-one or small-group settings
- Identify and teach extracurricular group activities and preschool classes, which may involve children whose families are not part of Serge
- Spend time weekly with homeschool teachers on lesson planning and research curriculum development
- Be available to provide tutoring for students during the afternoon (up to a few afternoons per week)
- Spend afternoons shadowing at the hospital or theology school, depending on your field of study / vocational experience and interests
- If interested, work with groups of parents to dream about ways to move toward cooperative learning in our community
Requirements and Critical Qualities:
As this role is a Teacher Assistant position, no extensive teaching experience is required. We need someone who fits the following description:
- A humble and teachable spirit
- The desire for personal spiritual mentorship
- Flexible and positive attitude
- Enjoys working with children and families
- Committed Christian who has cross-cultural experience or desire
- Willingness to receive positive feedback and constructive criticism
- Willingness to raise support and come through a mission agency
The Ideal Situation: You might be…
- Nearing the end of college and looking for an interesting “gap year” job experience
- A young person exploring new career options and opportunities
- A recently graduated elementary education major looking for an exciting way to spend a year (or part of a year) abroad
- Nearing retirement and wondering how God can use the next part of your life for His glory and the advancement of His Kingdom
We don’t know who God has in store for this position, or how He will provide for our children’s needs. But we do have faith that He has been faithful to provide everything we have needed to get to Kapsowar, and we believe He will provide for our children, too!
Serge is an international missions agency that believes we need the gospel as much as anyone we are trying to reach. We want to see the power of God’s grace transform your own life and motivate and sustain you to move into the lives of others.
We want your ministry to be sustainable – our dedicated Member Care Team comes alongside you personally and proactively – providing tangible support for your entire length of service.