Where We Serve
Guatemala –Guatemala City
Guatemala City, the capital of Guatemala, needs gospel renewal.
Guatemala is a poor country that has endured 500 years of colonialism and missionary intervention. It is extensively churched but the church is unhealthy due to corruption and fear. Because of this, there is a great need for gospel renewal.
The capital, Guatemala City, is home to the largest landfill in all of Central America. Over 13,000 people live in the neighborhood nearby, depending on the dump for scraps of food, discarded clothing, and pieces of trash to sell to recyclers. This community is profoundly overpopulated and under-resourced.
The team in Guatemala City aims to learn from and serve those who are on the margins of society. They hope to see health markers improve in the landfill community but also place a high value on individual patient interaction, sharing Jesus, and providing care that directly improves lives.
What We Do in Guatemala City
The team in Guatemala City desire to learn from and serve those who are on the margins of society and see the holistic health (spiritual, physical, relational) of Guatemala City’s churches and communities transformed by the power of the Gospel.
They work to:
- Support the Guatemalan church by equipping and supporting ministry leaders through training and psychotherapy.
- Serve the neighborhood surrounding the city garbage dump by providing a variety of primary and preventive healthcare.
Missions Opportunties in Guatemala City
The Serge team in Guatemala City seeks individuals in the following categories: other healthcare providers, social workers, pastors, people with business or entrepreneurship backgrounds, and educators.
Here are the ways you can join our team:
How You Can Pray
- Pray for fruitfulness in our work, for the health and flourishing of the church in Guatemala
- Pray for the Guatemalan leaders we work under to be successful in their ministries and full of the peace and freedom that Jesus brings
- Pray for political stability and a decrease in the violence and corruption that is so normal here
- Pray for our team: for our families to thrive and for us to model sacrificial love for one another