Many children in Uganda’s Bundibugyo District have lost one or more parents to war, disease—such as HIV/AIDS and malaria—and other causes. These children have little hope of completing a secondary school education. In Uganda there is no free secondary education. Without this education, these children have limited opportunities to escape poverty.
The goal of the Orphan and Vulnerable Child Sponsorship (OVC) Program is to empower these students with an education through Christ School Bundibugyo, a secondary boarding school in Bundibugyo founded by Serge in 1999. Our OVC program sponsors 40 students a year on average.
In addition to our needs based program, we have a merit based college preparatory scholarship program for our promising and high achieving students. Our achievement program sponsors 20 pre-college students a year.
What are the needs?
- $62.50 monthly (covers the actual average costs for one student for a year)
- $750 annually (covers the actual average costs for one student for a year)
- $30 monthly (half scholarship) and other amounts can be combined to help ensure our program is fully funded
Our sponsors connect through our program through:
- An electronic pamphlet that contains the bio’s of the students enrolled in our program
- The option to be connected as a pen-pal with one of our sponsored students
- Regular updates from Christ School Bundibugyo
Many of the formerly sponsored students showcased incredible leadership at Christ School. Upon graduation, they’ve gone forward to assume leadership positions serving both the local community and the nation.
The annual operating budget for Christ School is $250,000. More than half of the budget (approximately $150,000) is not covered by tuition fees. That portion of the budget is subsidized by Serge through outside donors–including student sponsors.