Bringing Hope to Nyankunde
Chronic instability and ongoing conflict have caused severe poverty in the eastern region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Ongoing challenges include insufficient food sources, malnutrition, and poor health. God calls us to bring His love and healing to the places in the world experiencing the most pain.
Nyankunde was once a thriving hub of evangelistic and medical missions. In 2002 the village was devastated due to social upheaval. Since 2004, Nyankunde and its missionary community have been in the process of rebuilding.
What we do in Nyankunde
The Serge team in Nyankunde provides medical care to the local community, while also delivering medical training to Congolese doctors and nurses.
Through this work, the team partners with other missionary doctors and Congolese medical colleagues to deliver care. The team is also committed to evangelism and discipleship. With a focus on encouraging the local church and fellow missionaries, Serge team members strive to become embedded in the local community, learning the local customs, and building relationships with neighbors.
In recent years the team has seen improvements in the standard of care, as well as access to care. They’ve constructed a tuberculosis isolation ward at the hospital to protect patients, their families, and hospital staff. Additionally, the team established a program to provide formula for orphaned infants.
Broadly speaking, the team’s work advances treatment in obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, and internal medicine. Primary focus areas are:
- Maternal and infant mortality rates in the peripartum period;
- HIV and tuberculosis care;
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation training;
- Care of chronic diseases including diabetes and heart failure;
- Systems of evaluation and quality improvement.
The team works closely with the hospital’s nursing school to dramatically improve the clinical training for nursing students. While providing clinical training, Serge staff also teach spiritual care and evangelism in the context of healthcare for medical and nursing staff.
Building the Team
The future vision includes expanded services that require teammates with new skills. They seek the following types of people to join the team:
- Physical Therapist
- Nurse Educator
- Teacher for Missionary Children
- Community Development/Small Business Development Specialist
How you can pray
- For wisdom as the team grows
- For unity with other missionaries
- For vision to wisely steward time, energy, and resources
- For Congolese brothers and sisters to be encouraged and for God to bring healing to the village