Missionary Kid Teacher Assistant / Medical Research (Vocational Intern)
TYPES OF WORK
LENGTH OF SERVICE
Serge missionaries have served for more than three decades in Bundibugyo, a rural district located in western Uganda along the border with the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The missionary team’s children are on this journey, too, and are a vital part of the team’s ministry. As the team has grown, they find ourselves in the position of needing supplementary help in the form of Missionary Kid Teachers and Teacher’s Assistants.
This vocational internship would primarily support the families of Rwenzori Mission School (RMS) through co-teaching K, 2nd, or 3rd-grade classes and the opportunity to receive teaching experience, supervision, and feedback from an experienced Missionary Kid teacher.
This role also includes the possibility of a brief period of medical shadowing with the nutrition team and occasionally with a medical missionary at Nyahuka Health Center. This would include approximately a week of orientation with the possibility to observe in the afternoons after school is done.
The team’s families live very interconnectedly within the community. We are seeking individual who can share a living space on the team mission compound with other 2-year apprentice missionaries as they serve the team and minister alongside them in our community.
The primary responsibilities would for this role would include, but are not limited to:
- Working 4 days a week (M-F) at Rwenzori Mission School (RMS) within the hours of 8:30am-2:30pm
- Collaborating at weekly evening prep meetings with the RMS Missionary Kid Teacher
- Several hours committed to co-teaching K, 2nd, or 3rd-grade classes per week (Grade and content would be determined by the intern’s experience and knowledge in one or more of the core content areas (Science, Math, Reading, Social Studies…)
- Tutoring assistance (when needed) for elementary school students
- Preparation and completion of a medical research project in collaboration with medical team leaders and local government, when possible.
- Attend weekly language classes to learn the local language/dialect (Lubwisi)
- Build cross-cultural relationships with a community of Ugandan medical practitioners
**Bundibugyo Team Leader Dr. Jennifer Myhre is willing to advise and supervise the research project, but the topic should be based solely on the research and preparation of the intern.
Requirements and Critical Qualities:
- Humble and teachable spirit
- Desire for personal spiritual mentorship
- Flexible and positive attitude
- Someone who has an interest in working with Missionary Kids, a heart for education, and the desire to work on a medical-focused team in rural Africa.
- Committed Christian who has cross-cultural experience or desire
- Willingness to work with parents of students, in a tight-knit team setting
- Willingness to receive positive feedback and constructive criticism
- Willingness to raise support and come through a mission agency
Serge is an international missions agency that believes we believe we need the gospel as much as anyone we are trying to reach. We want to see the power of God’s grace transform your own life and motivate and sustain you to move into the lives of others.
We want your ministry to be sustainable – our dedicated Member Care Team comes alongside you personally and proactively – providing tangible support for your entire length of service.
Are you interested in serving as a Missionary Kid Teacher Assistant / Medical Research (Vocational Intern)?
If you know someone who is interested, please send them our way!
NOT SURE YOU ARE A PERFECT FIT?
You don’t have to be! Get in touch to discuss a custom opportunity
or tailor this need to suit your skills and passions. Contact Us –>