“Bhale Phatharia London MAA!”
– Gujarati for “Welcome to London!”
Gujarati – one of the many languages you might hear spoken in this global city. London is perhaps one of the most diverse cities in the world. Serge has been active in London for more than 20 years, establishing church plants that seek to celebrate, share, and enjoy the gospel of Jesus in culturally understandable ways. London Interns serve with Serge workers in one of four communities:
Serge partners with British South Asian leadership in Harrow to establish a service (seva)-orientated, culturally-understandable group (sangat, ‘ekklesia’) of Jesus-followers (Isu bhaktas) in the British South Asian context of North West London. Immerse yourself in the Hindu and Jain culture while seeing and being part of the shifting dynamic of first- and second-generation South Asian immigrants create a home in London.
Serve in the Shepherds Bush community where London meets the world. New City church planted here is a dynamic and diverse community often representing over eight different cultures on a given Sunday. It is a culturally and economically diverse urban area in west London. Shepherd’s Bush has pockets of prosperity, a significant amount of poverty, and loads of diversity. Join with their outreach, service, homeless ministry, kids clubs, and more.
Serve the North London community of Muswell Hill in a friendly independent evangelical church. The church seeks to serve their neighbors through job club, free legal advice, children’s programs and regular worship and Bible study.
SOUTH WEST LONDON
Serve at a small, multi-cultural church in a large government housing project in South West London. We emphasize contextualizing the Gospel for all the different kinds of people living in deprived areas in the UK. Join in door-to-door outreach, children’s activity outreaches, discipleship, Bible studies, and serving on Sunday with cooking, setting up and tearing down, drinking lots of tea, and chatting with people.
ALL LONDON INTERNS WILL:
- Develop cross-cultural skills and receive personal mentoring and discipleship
- Support the work of a local church
- Gain a deeper understanding of the local culture and how that is expressed in church life
- Take part in Bible studies/small groups
- Visit local families
- Hear amazing stories of how God draws people to Himself out of the most unlikely situations.
Depending on community of service, London interns may also:
- Assist with the week-long London Evangelism and Prayer Conference (LEAP)
- Work in a local thrift store (Asha Shop) that seeks to share the gospel in word and deed
- Be involved with community-based youth work
- Help with parent toddler
- Share the love of Jesus through street outreach
- Helping to run Kid’s Clubs in the local community
- Serving in various mercy ministries
- Help with church worship music
Successful interns are usually curious about other cultures, have the courage to enter into unfamiliar situations, are willing to build relationships with people very different from themselves, and are passionate about the local church and community. Adventurous taste buds are definitely a plus!
WHERE: London, England
WHEN: June 8 – Aug 3, 2020
WHO: 19+ years old
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out an application here!
Early Decision is November 14, 2019
Regular Decision is January 8, 2020
For more information, please contact Ashland Arnold via email at email@example.com