“Bhale Phatharia London MAA!”
– Gujarati for “Welcome to London!”
Gujarati – one of the many languages you might hear spoken in this global city. London is perhaps one of the most diverse cities in the world. Serge has been active in London for more than 20 years, establishing church plants that seek to celebrate, share, and enjoy the gospel of Jesus in culturally understandable ways. London Interns serve with Serge workers in one of four communities:
Serge partners with British South Asian leadership in Harrow to establish a service (seva)-orientated, culturally-understandable group (sangat, ‘ekklesia’) of Jesus-followers (Isu bhaktas) in the British South Asian context of North West London. Immerse yourself in the Hindu and Jain culture while seeing and being part of the shifting dynamic of first- and second-generation South Asian immigrants create a home in London.
Serve the North London community of Muswell Hill in a friendly independent evangelical church. The church seeks to serve their neighbors through job club, free legal advice, children’s programs and regular worship and Bible study.
Southall is the heart and soul of the immigrant community of London, a global city made up of peoples from around the world and in particular from South Asia. Our desire is to plant churches in London and to see these birth churches beyond London.
SOUTH WEST LONDON
Serve at a small, multi-cultural church in a large government housing project in South West London. We emphasize contextualizing the Gospel for all the different kinds of people living in deprived areas in the UK. Join in door-to-door outreach, children’s activity outreaches, discipleship, Bible studies, and serving on Sunday with cooking, setting up and tearing down, drinking lots of tea, and chatting with people.
ALL LONDON INTERNS WILL:
- Develop cross-cultural skills and receive personal mentoring and discipleship
- Support the work of a local church
- Gain a deeper understanding of the local culture and how that is expressed in church life
- Take part in Bible studies/small groups
- Visit local families
- Hear amazing stories of how God draws people to Himself out of the most unlikely situations.
Depending on community of service, London interns may also:
- Assist with the week-long London Evangelism and Prayer Conference (LEAP)
- Work in a local thrift store (Asha Shop) that seeks to share the gospel in word and deed
- Be involved with community-based youth work
- Help with parent toddler
- Share the love of Jesus through street outreach
- Helping to run Kid’s Clubs in the local community
- Serving in various mercy ministries
- Help with church worship music
Successful interns are usually curious about other cultures, have the courage to enter into unfamiliar situations, are willing to build relationships with people very different from themselves, and are passionate about the local church and community. Adventurous taste buds are definitely a plus!
WHERE: London, England
WHEN: June 15-August 3, 2021
WHO: 19+ years old
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for 2021 summer internships are open! Apply now.
The early decision deadline to apply is November 14, 2020, and the final deadline to apply is January 6, 2021.