“Bhale Phatharia London MAA!”
“Welcome to London!” in Gujurati – one of the many languages you might hear spoken in this global city. London is perhaps one of the most diverse cities in the world.
Serge has been active in London for more than 20 years, establishing church plants that seek to celebrate, share, and enjoy the gospel of Jesus in culturally understandable ways.
London Interns serve with Serge workers in one of three communities:
Southall is the heart and soul of the immigrant community of London, a global city made up of peoples from around the world and in particular from South Asia. Our desire is to plant churches in London and to see these birth churches beyond London.
Serge partners with British South Asian leadership in Harrow to establish a service (seva)-orientated, culturally-understandable group (sangat, ‘ekklesia’) of Jesus-followers (Isu bhaktas) in the British South Asian context of North West London.
Serve the North London community of Muswell Hill in a friendly, independent, evangelical church. The church seeks to love neighbors through a job club, free legal advice, children’s programs, regular worship, and Bible study.
All London Interns will:
- Develop cross-cultural skills and receive personal mentoring through the Sonship discipleship course,
- Support the work of a local church,
- Gain a deeper understanding of the local culture and how that is expressed in church life,
- Take a part in Bible studies/small groups,
- Visit local families,
- Hear amazing stories of how God draws people to Himself out of the most unlikely situations.
Depending on community of service, London interns may also:
- Assist with the week-long London Evangelism and Prayer Conference (LEAP),
- Work in a local thrift store (Asha Shop) that seeks to share the gospel in word and deed,
- Be involved with community-based youth work,
- Help with “mums and tots” group,
- Share the love of Jesus through street outreach,
- Helping to run Kid’s Clubs in a local subsidized housing community,
- Serving in various ministries reaching poor and vulnerable people-for example, helping with a homeless dinner and film club,
- Help with church worship music.
Successful interns are usually curious about other cultures, have the courage to enter into unfamiliar situations, are willing to build relationships with people very different from themselves, and are passionate about the local church and community. Adventurous taste buds are definitely a plus!
Where, When, Who, How Much
- London, England
- June 4 to August 3, 2018
- 19+ years old
- approx. $5,500
- Applications for summer 2018 internships are being accepted on a case-by-case basis.
For more information, please contact Danielle Martinelli via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.