Editor’s note: Over the years, Serge missionary and co-founder Rose Marie Miller, has perfected the art of saying a great deal with a few words. Her signature writing style for update letters, cuts to the chase, draws readers in, and presents the vision of renewing mission. On this Christmas day, we’re happy to share Rose Marie’s most recent wise and gritty letter with you.
Written by Rose Marie on December 24, 2015:
* Was planning to spend my 91st birthday praying with a friend and then going to a very nice place for lunch. Instead of that I was in the hospital with a high fever and an infection that needed treating.
* Early this morning, thinking about how plans change brought me to Mary as she was preparing for marriage.
* An unexpected change of plans—a surprise visit from the angel, Gabriel, announcing that in her womb she will carry the Savior of the World.
* Another change—a decree from Caesar sending Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem, to fulfill the prophecy that this baby will be born in Bethlehem.
* A visit from the shepherds to see the babe, and Mary pondering these things in her heart.
* A visit from the wise men from the East, with the question, “Where is He who has been born king of the Jews?”—and bringing gifts fit for a king.
* Another change of plans—a surprise dream from an angel directing the family to go to Egypt to save them from Herod’s slaughter of infants, and to fulfill yet another prophecy, “Out of Egypt I have called my Son.”
* One more change—the family returning to Israel, and Joseph being warned in a dream is told to go to Nazareth to fulfill yet another prophecy: “He shall be called a Nazarene.”
*** All these plans were set in eternity before anyone has been born. God uses ordinary people, expected circumstances, dreams, angels, decrees, even evil men, to accomplish his plans.
*** God’s plan: to send Jesus in the fullness of time to call out of the kingdom of darkness people for His glory to share his salvation to a dark and broken world. HE DID AND WILL ACCOMPLISH HIS PURPOSE FOR OUR GOOD AND FOR HIS GLORY.
**I want to learn how to ponder events, and treasure truth in my heart, a Mary did. She was a very special part of God’s unfolding plan for her family and herself. We all are.
Blessings to all of you as you ponder and treasure God’s ways of granting those that mourn giving them beauty instead of ashes, a garment of praise instead of a faint spirit, to bring good news to the poor, and to bind up the broken hearted.
Image sourced from flickr.